Early Entry to School
Starting in January 2022, families registered with OAP will be able to sign-up for the early entry to school program, which will help prepare children who are starting kindergarten or Grade 1 for the first time.
The entry to school program includes two main parts.
1) A six-month, group-based, skill-building program, focused on helping children develop school readiness skills in six areas:
- Communication – Ex: conversation, expressing wants and needs, understanding language, social communication, and non-verbal communication
- Play – Ex: toy exploration, and engaging in group play/games
- Social interaction – Ex: understanding of social boundaries, interactions with peers, and learning new behaviours by observing/imitating peers
- Functional routines – Ex: following classroom routines, and self-help skills such as dressing and toilet training
- Behavioural self-management – Ex: emotional regulation and being able to wait their turn
- Pre-academics, learning and attention – Ex: developing new learning skills, working within a group setting, and independent work
The group-based program is multi-disciplinary and delivered by staff with expertise in:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Applied behaviour analysis
- Speech-language pathology
- Occupational therapy
- Early childhood development
The group-based part of the program will be delivered in person from March until the end of August and runs 1/2 day for 5 days per week. There will be up to 12 children in each classroom, with 4 clinicians delivering programming.
2) After completing the group-based part of the program, children will start the second part of the program, which provides them with individual transition supports as they enter school. Families and educators will also be able to access consultation services from entry to school program staff, as needed, during a child’s first six months in school.
The program is offered free of charge and is being delivered in Kingston by a team of clinicians from Stride Academy, Big Words Little People, and Make Way for Me!
To check eligibility and register, families can contact email@example.com .